Friday, September 7, 2012

Interview with Kenzo X$


Hello South Carolinians and World,


This is FiveTrey blogger for SC HomeGrown with an exclusive interview. This young man hails out of the Columbia South Carolina and I personally know him. He is Kenzo, producer and artist under Swamp Life Ent. I met Kenzo back in 2003 when I was residing in Columbia. We both had the same dream, music. We started a group name Street Dreams, where it was 8 members from our neighborhood.  Kenzo always was on this futuristic music and drawing. Me, I was the artist and brains behind the scene.  So, fast-forward 9 years and now we are under the same umbrella. I met back up with Kenzo Feb. 28, 2012 at the New Brookland Tavern in Cayce SC. Again this wouldn’t happen if Dezz C/O Tha Steam Squad and Makrigga Media wouldn’t have invited me up there. I was getting to know fellow Steam Squad member Eric J and Kenzo came to me and said “ Big B what’s good nigga”! Me not seeing him in a minute I was shocked to see him. Now, he still is doing his thing and still a dream Chaser.  South Carolinians and World, I would like to introduce Kenzo.



@FiveTrey_SCHG: What good Kenzo! It has been along time my dude. Let’s let everyone know where you from and what you do?
 @BlxckAstro:Well homie, i hail from the metro for those who don't know that's a nickname for Columbia, SC the Capital of South Carolina and Ima rapper, producer, engineer and eventually some more shit. 
Follow me on Twitter
@FiveTrey_SCHG: You know you been making music for a long time. It feels like yesterday, we were in your room free styling and now you have farther your career? What has change since then?
@BlxckAstro: Just Life My G, like when you live and you experience shit you build character and understanding of the world around you. When We first met i had experienced shit but, it was more like i was too young to acknowledge it and write about it in my raps. At the time i wanted to be Jay-Z lol Like straight up die-hard fan but eventually started to pay attention more to the substance of content. Like Pac and Kanye, Outkast...to me those are artists that expressed what they're feelings were and kept they're heart on they're sleeve through their music. That's what changed not only could I outrap you nigga, but i got a story to tell too.




@FiveTrey_SCHG: How does it feel to be under Swamp Life Ent? It’s a pretty heavy roster you are on, what do you bring to the table?
The Home Team!


@BlxckAstro: Shit just that seasonings to the shit lol Like an extra creative mind. We've All Known each other for years and we all express ourselves differently but with that same vicious attitude of a gator like on some beast-type shit. Individually, we stand out amongst each other and i provide that crazy space shuttle music type shit. I call it that because if we was to have to leave this place we call earth soon and it was just one space shuttle left we all can get on but we only can pick a few documents of history to bring with us to the new world, I want my shit too be played on the ride there lol Like that shit stands the test of time.


@FiveTrey_SCHG: I heard some of your work on fellow Gator-mate Tony Ca$h debut mixtape,“C.O.T”, how many tracks did you produce on the mixtape? 
@BlxckAstro: 5 total tracks, and i engineered the whole project. Keep in mind this nigga Cash don't write anything in the booth so just play him a beat and he ready to go off top i ain't had much work to do. He's one of the hardest niggaz in the streetz right now. Look out for his new single "Goin Ham" ft. Skeme and Titan. 
@FiveTrey_SCHG: What does that mean for your producer career that an artist trusts you with majority of his mixtape?
@BlxckAstro: I mean i feel like I'm A humble nigga and want to see a project get exploited to it's full potential I have a hand on each project that comes from the team. So, I take it very personal for each mixtape we put out each video we put out to be the shit. Everybody got a role, a position and some have more roles than others so you have to handle that weight and work as hard as you can to the best of your ability or we just rapping for bullshit. Hands Down when we finally get the exposure we need and the distribution we need I put it on my life that we will be something the world has never seen. #swampdat


@Fivetrey_SCHG: Are there any other mixtapes that we should look out for with your work on there?
@BlxckAstro: Titan just Dropped His Mixtape, "Love Vs. Evol" that shit is epic to me. I've never seen a rapper show so much vulnerability and growth on a project in our history. Especially his constant pursuit of happiness from women it will be something new. I produced about 25% of the project along with fellow producers, Skeme Mizzle, Woody Douglas, and KO Dat Nigga. After that I Got My EP, "God Bless The Real" that will be dropping this fall. I intend to take this music shit to some new places on my first solo project. After that we got Eric The Prynce Dropping His EP "Sinners Have Souls 2" And That Will Be One Of My Favorite projects to drop from any artist in the game period.   


@FiveTrey_SCHG: What separates you from other producers out in Columbia and even SC?
@BlxckAstro: Umm Just skill and acknowledgement of the shit that came before me like homie i breathe, eat, shit, smoke this music shit. With no musical training or musical background just appreciation and love for music. I feel like i exceed at producing because of my talents as a rapper, like i can know how to approach the record or know the right placement on the song to make it "sonically" correct. It's more of composing really. I know how to compose a fucking SONG! 
@FiveTrey_SCHG: Enough with the production side. Let’s talk about the artist, Kenzo. Is there any mixtapes we can look for you to drop this year?


@BlxckAstro: Like, I mentioned before, the EP "God Bless The Real", will be a time where niggas get to see the dark side of the moon.Due To unfortunate events of the mixtape i was planning to drop on August 21 was cut short cause of things that wasn't in my control I decided to start from scratch and start on an EP to keep the people provided with music from me as an artist.That's why I titled it, "God Bless The Real" because whoever you feel like is "God" will always bless those who are true to themselves and express them no matter the consequences We trying to provide some honesty and self reflection to music today. At the same time providing music for everybody. Like the shit will have the street vernacular of a Tip or Jeezy, but the artistic range of a Kanye or an Andre 3k. That's why I chose "The Passion" to be the lead single, it reflects my hunger an ambition to make it in this world without selling my soul to the streets or the corporate world.


@FivTrey_SCHG: “Power Up” is one of my favorite tracks from the Swamp Life camp. How did that record come together between you, Jazmine Phoenix and Bless’d Da Gator?
"I got that power up in my cup" 
@BlxckAstro: Well, Jazmine Phoenix presented the beat and the concept for song, I wrote the chorus and sung on it and Bless'd and Mz. Hot 16 slaughtered it. It will be on the radio scene soon...very soon. 



@FiveTrey_SCHG: Is “Celebration” going to be the lead single off your up and coming EP “God Bless The Real”?  That song sums up a young man growth to would he can celebrate for working and grinding hard. A song I bump all the time!
@BlxckAstro: I appreciate that homie, but it will be a promotional single attached with "SupaNova" which I will eventually drop on the latter of the year after "God Bless The Real". We will have few surprises on that whole album, but we bout to change the game with this EP first.
@FiveTrey_SCHG: It has been confirmed that you and fellow Gator-mate Jazmine Phoenix are a couple now, well let me say a power couple. How can this influence your music and hers?
"Power Couple" 
@BlxckAstro: I think it affects us in an extremely positive way. I can't describe the feeling of having a relationship with someone who share the same craft. We learn from each other everyday. And challenge each other to be better artists and people. We share ideas and concepts all the time, I know we have what it takes to set the bar for creativity and pure great stories.
Me and My better half Mz Hot 16




@FiveTrey_SCHG: Could it be a mixtape brewing up with the both of ya’ll? I think that will be big, because both flow and swag is futuristic!


@BlxckAstro: #swampdat lol Next year that's when the world will get to see that monster be born. You can bet to have nothing but bangers on that mixtape.
We working on a few titles now for that one! But yeah next year!



@Fivetrey_SCHG: What more we can look for in 2012 from Kenzo, the producer and artist?
Swamp Life Til Death Do Us Part


@BlxckAstro: Just great timeless music man, we ain't doing just to get paid. We doing this because we love to make music point blank period. Also look out for my clothing co. BLXCK A$TRONAUTS LLC. set to drop next year. It's basically like a marriage between pop-art and street art displayed on graphic tees.



@FivTrey_SCHG: Thanks for taking the time out to do this. Are there any shouts out you want to give and your contact information (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to where South Carolinians and the World can check you out?

A need a hunderd mill for my swag/ A hundred more for my team/ it's Swamp Life To The After Life my blood is Gator Green!
S/o to my team, Swamp Life Ent. We goin take over the world ya'll just be patient we got this shit.
"Fuk yo Life...Swamp Life "





S/o to my other half Jazmine Phoenix you make a nigga go harder It's Me And You Against The World

Mz Hot 16





S/o to my boss/"big sister", Bless'd Da Gator You Encourage me To Go Harder Thanx For The Competition lol!

"Boss Gator" Bless'd Da Gator



S/o To my Brother From Another Mother, Jule 4/20 U Homie are one of the few ppl on this planet that understand what I've been through and know what i'm capable of thanx for the Competition As Well! 
Oh And Shout To The Steam Squad As A Whole Dem My Dudes #fuckyolife #chooseup



"Choose Up" 

No comments:

Post a Comment